Nomadic Matt’s Blogging Course
For quite a long time now, I’ve wanted to start a travel blog. When I was working, I would scour the internet reading travel blogs of others’ and say to myself, “I could do this.” In February of 2015, I decided to stay home with my new baby, which gave me the opportunity to write (in 90 minute increments during nap time, but write nonetheless!). After much thought, I launched The Family Explorer in mid-2015.
Before starting this website, I had absolutely zero experience with building websites. Every step of this process was tedious for me. I didn’t know what to look for when getting a theme, how to design a website, how to gain an audience, how to properly network, what to do about SEO, or how to monetize. Here was my typical process:
- Think of a topic that I thought I should know more about.
- Go to Pinterest and search for blogs about the topic.
- Read every single blog post I could find about the topic.
- Sort through conflicting information. Try to figure out which information was most reliable and which information was just noise.
- Lots and lots of trial and error!!
Don’t get me wrong, my knowledge and website were both growing, but not very quickly! I would read things like “network with other bloggers” or “get links,” but I didn’t know HOW or WHY and I’d get easily frustrated. Then in December of 2015, I stumbled upon a Facebook post about Nomadic Matt’s blogging course. While I hated the idea of paying for a course (there’s so much free info out there!), I knew that my process was not super efficient. Ultimately, I wanted my website to be successful and wanted access to the best information out there. I knew that Nomadic Matt was a big name in the travel blog world, so the guy knows what he’s talking about!
So I bit the bullet and signed up for the course. This course is meant to meet you at your experience level, and can accommodate anyone from the very beginner blogger to someone with a bit more experience. Here are some reason why this was one of the best decisions I could have made for my blog:
- This course walks you through the step-by-step process of how to start a blog. Even though my website was already up and running, I went though the more basic pieces of the course anyway. Their tech guy, Chris, had plenty of videos to walk through basic set up and I found settings to tweak and additional plugins that have been useful.
- Every piece of the course is detailed and explains the HOW and WHY.
- There are SO MANY resources! While most of the course info is written by Matt, he’s also compiled additional links to more useful information. There are lots of expert interviews to teach you about storytelling, SEO, monetizing your website, social media strategy, and much more!
- There is a Facebook group just for members of the course. It’s been a great place to ask questions and connect with other people in the blogging world. Matt and Chris also answer questions there as well.
- The course comes with a free theme! So when I had some theme drama with a theme I had previously purchased, it was great to know that I had another high-quality one to fall back on.
- With monthly webinars, information in this course is always growing and I’ll always have access!
I’m confident in the information that I’ve received from this course and feel like I have a big-picture plan for how I’d like to see this blog grow. If you’re thinking of starting a blog or you’ve recently launched and aren’t confident in your direction, I totally recommend this course! Don’t hem and haw over the dollars- make the investment in yourself. I definitely don’t regret it! Find out more info about the course here.